Pet Memorials
Helping Families Honor the Lives Of Those They Love
8/9/1999 - 3/10/2016All - I apologize for the length of the below, but truthfully it did me good to write it. Thanks to all for your compassion and expressions of support. Both Steve and I greatly appreciate it. -Annette

It is with great sadness that I share the news with all of you of the passing of our dog, Cali, this past Thursday, after 16 and a half years with us. All dogs are special, but after so many years, Cali managed to touch many lives, and so I think of her as extra special, and of course she would agree. Early in her life, Cali earned the nickname “Princess Cali” because quite frankly she expected to be treated like royalty. In exchange, we got her love. I have a picture in my mind of a friend shaking her head and saying “Cali, Cali, Cali…” – with a smile and acknowledgement that despite her demands, you couldn’t help but fall in love with that adorable little face.

From the beginning it was clear that Cali was a presence to be reckoned with. The night I brought her and her sister Paipa home at 8 weeks of age, I sat cross-legged on the floor with one on each leg feeding them chew stick treats. Cali wanted none of the one that I was feeding her – only the one her sister already had. And her sister only cared that she had “something” in her mouth, so she gladly exchanged. Thus started the canine sibling rivalry that continued until Paipa became ill with liver disease at the age of 14. These two pups spent not only every day of 14 years in each other’s company, but also developed in the same womb. A closer bond could not have existed – they were like twins with completely different personalities.

In that respect, Paipa was a sweet people-pleaser, eager to play with a ball and always ready for something – anything – to eat. People fell in love with Paipa because she was so sweet, so loyal, so playful. Cali, on the other hand, was more complex. Cali was probably the runt of the litter – born with a crook in her tail - it looked like she had been shoved into the corner during development. She was born ready to demand some attention, and had the looks to pull it off. With just the right combination of floppy ears, soulful eyes and slightly short snout, she looked like a puppy until the day she passed away. It amazed me that people often asked me how old my puppy was – and I would answer “14”, “15”, “16” – she was simply too cute. She knew how to work it, too – adopting a ladylike sitting posture that contributed to her nickname – she looked like a princess sitting to the side, posing daintily for a photo. And she had a personality to boot.

Early on, Cali fell in love with the television, apparently a safe place to chase other animals. I always found it funny that on outings to a farm she would quietly pass the cows or horse stables (she even gave wide berth to a cow-hide purse I bought in Bogota that apparently smelled too much like the real thing!) but from the comfort of her couch she freely attacked her prey with a loud bark and leaps toward the television. She especially got excited about dogs on TV. Just pay attention sometime to how often dogs appear on TV and you’ll get an idea of the situation – she saw every one of them.

Cali never hesitated to let you know what she wanted - A bark to make room on the couch for her, to fluff her pillow, to let her out, or to give her a taste of what you were eating. She competed with her sister for “lead position” on hikes through the woods, but was fiercely loyal and protective of her as well. She liked to be the center of attention, but remarkably took a back seat without complaint during her sister’s illness and eventual passing. Her reward was two more years as the recipient of all the love we could pour on her. She had a sense of how to interact with people – she loved kids and knew instinctively how to approach them gently and patiently take their pushes, pulls, and aggressive “pats”. And despite her aggressive insistence on attention, she could also curl up in a ball, snuggle up to your body, and be the sweetest, most loving little dog you could ask for.

I could sum up her life like this – Cali was born in Colombia, (legally) immigrated to the US, lived in Greece for a few years before settling in Virginia, vacationed in Florida and the Outer Banks, and acquired a second home and took up boating late in life. Her favorite pastimes were watching TV, and hiking. She was a bit cosmopolitan, as excited to be on the busy streets of New York City as relaxing at her country home on the Northern Neck of Virginia.

In her last years, her health started to fail, and she lost most of her hair. My sister told me that she was like a velveteen rabbit – loved so much for so long that bare spots were worn into her fur. I think that is an appropriate image.

The illness that took her progressed very fast in her last couple days of life, and we are thankful that she didn’t suffer a lengthy decline. We are so happy to think of Cali and Paipa reunited in the afterlife – together again stirring up mischief, exploring new hiking paths, playing together, and chasing animals. For me, Cali’s passing represents the end of an era, one I will look back on with many joyful memories. While we are sad and will miss her daily, we are grateful and blessed to have had them both for so long. We hope all of you will remember them fondly and with smiles as well.
Annette GreberArlington, VirginiaMarch 14, 2016
7/20/2002 - 2/24/2016Dear Fez, you are gone, but you are still here. I hear your soft meows in the night when I can't sleep and I imagine your fury body at the foot of the bed. You were the best cat that ever walked the Earth and though you truly only liked myself and Tyler, no one could hold a candle to you. God broke the mold when he made you, you crazy cat, and I am a better person to have known you. We think of you daily and will tell our child all about you. I wish that you never had to get sick and suffer, but you were such a strong kitty and majestic beast until the very end. We miss your soft fur, the way you would nip when it was time to stop petting you, and the fact that you always knew when it was 6am and saved me from being late to work many times.

Old friend, we will meet again someday.
Mary Ellen EngmanSeattle, WashingtonMarch 14, 2016
Raymond Burr Entzeroth
5/6/2004 - 2/12/2016Raymond Burr, we miss you every single day. You brought us so much joy and laughter. Thank you for being the world's greatest dog. We will never forget you.Sarah EntzerothSt. Louis, MissouriMarch 14, 2016
4/1/2004 - 3/12/2016Flap was a kind, loving, old soul. He was our Jack Russell whom we adopted from a dog pound in Cleveland. He was one year old when he came to us. Immediately he showed his interest in learning commands and understanding how to communicate with me. I spent all of his life in communication with him and once he passed I went to the door, opened it and told him to go play. This was our phrase to say when it was okay to go out and make a little trouble with the lizards. I knew once he left he sprung up and looked back around then hearing that old familiar phrase, he took off like lightning.Chris CopeLake Worth, FloridaMarch 13, 2016
6/18/2004 - 3/9/2016The Story of Yato’s Life
By Emily Han

For the past 10 years I’ve been with my dog Yato my whole life. She is a year and three days older than me, her birthday is June 19 and mine is June 22. Just today she passed away. March 11 2016. She has lived a beautiful life full of ups and downs. She was diagnosed with heart problems in August 2015 and was now diagnosed with liver cancer in February 2016. She has been suffering and hasn't been happy for two months. For her sake we called the vet to put her to sleep. These next few paragraphs are going to be about her life from the day mama and baba got to when she died.

The Beginning-
After mama and baba got married mama decided to get a dog, so of course baba had to follow along with the plan. They had gone to Avenues Mall because there was a pet store there. Mama was particularly in interest of a miniature schnauzer because she’s had one before named Yaya. There were two miniature schnauzers in the pet store, one a boy and one a girl. Mama and Baba went over to where they were. The girl schnauzer had come to them as if she found her new owners. Nobody had wanted her because she had canines cough. Instead mama still bought her because of her caring attitude. By then mama and baba had lived next to the St. Johns river so they asked their good friend also their neighbor to train Yato how to basics like sitting and giving her paw when given a treat. After some time, they had me.

When I Was Born-
Yato had a loving affection for me ever since she saw me. She was never rough but very gentle. There were some limits to what I did to her but when I did pass them she only ran away but never physically hurt me. I would play with her and she would come near me and sniff and lick me. I always thought that she was my body guard and I was important. There was one time when I was looking out the window with Yato and we were both standing behind the curtain so you could only see our butts. When I got old enough to walk she would stand next to me or walk next me, sometimes even follow me. As we moved to Sevilla I could ride a tricycle and would chase her till she got playful. Yato would let me put blankets on her or put dolls on her when she was lying down. Mama and baba had both taken a lot of pictures of both me and her after preschool. Then I started going to kindergarten at Mill Creek Elementary School.

Going to School-
Yato missed me since the first day of kindergarten because I had to leave at 8:00 am and get back home at 2:50 pm or stay at extended day. Mama and baba had still taken a lot of pictures, but not as many. Every day when I got home Yato would run to me and bark excitedly. This kept going on till 4th grade. Yato was 10 when I was 9 in 4th grade.

The Problems -
Yato hadn’t started feeling well in April 2015. She peed kidney stones, so she ended up having surgery for it. Then between August and September 2015 the vet diagnosed heart failure so she had to eat medicine and special formulated meat for her health. Finally, when we noticed weird behavior such as grouchiness, not coming near us, biting people, and shaking most of the time. One day at the groomers she bit a lady, so the vet checked her up and said she had liver cancer and that the cancer cells are going to her brain. We knew that her time could be up at any possible time so we tried to give her as much affection and love when she let us until her end.

The End Is Just the Beginning-
When we took Yato to the vet because of liver cancer the doctor suggested this program where a professional would come to your house and put your dog to sleep. We thought that was a better idea so it could be more peaceful than the vets. We had scheduled to do it on Friday, March 12, 2016. That was when mama was off from work, I could miss school, and baba could get home early. On Wednesday baba called the program to schedule for Friday. So I already knew and was prepared until the news. The program couldn't do Friday so it had to be today. I was not ready at all and not prepared the very least. Baba told me they'll do it at 9:30, so mama could get home from work and I could give Yato a bath. When mama came home Yato just lied in her bed as if she knew what was going to happen to her. Of course, I was hugging her crying, but eventually I moved away to let the vet do her thing. I watched the whole thing, never peeling my eyes off of Yato. Her heart stopped at 9:55. It was very peaceful. The vet shaved some hair off of yato so we could keep it, I chose the chest, mustache, and kept the part where the vet shaved off to put the needle in. After Yato was gone the vet printed her paw print on a piece of clay she let me carry her on a basket to her car. After many kisses and hugs from me and mama, (baba too!). We finally said goodbye.
Yato will forever be in our hearts.
May Buddha guide Yato on her journey to a better place.
Yato was loved by us all.
May she rest in peace.
Larry HanSaint Augustine, FloridaMarch 12, 2016
Oliver "Ollie Baby"
3/7/2016My dear sweet boy peacefully crossed over the rainbow bridge in the comfort of his home on Tuesday March 8th. I miss him greatly, especially the special rituals we shared like "pillow share" and "sink drink." Ollie was a mama's boy and rarely left my side. In fact, if he were still here, I'm sure he'd be fighting for a spot in my lap, attempting to thwart my efforts to type on my laptop. I am grateful for the time we shared and the comfort and joy he gave me for the almost nine years we were together. I was not Ollie's first owner, but I think we both found our feline and human soulmate, respectively, in each other. Ollie moved all over the city of Philadelphia with me as I apartment hopped and he begrudgingly accepted and even came to love (or at least tolerate!) his crazy feline brother Mongo, who also misses him very much. My gray baby with the kinky tail and green eyes full of love, I miss you so much. You will always live in my heart.Rachel HaimovichPhiladelphia, PennsylvaniaMarch 12, 2016
2/14/2016As soon as I saw this adorable little girl with these big dark eyes and floppy ears my heart stopped and I knew it was love at first sight. She was all of 3 pounds that I could hold in the palm of my hand. No matter if I tried there was NO way I’d leave without her.

She was feisty and had such a love for life I learned. Those puppy days, I’d take them back in a heartbeat. Megara loved to be with people, even if they were just in the house she was happy. An extremely friendly girl she was always though not always expected of a cocker spaniel. There was not 1 bone in her body not made of love. I could see the disappointment on her face when someone would walk by without acknowledging her somehow. She would adore it when someone would stop and pet her.

Her and I bonded like a Mom and daughter. She was there for some of the most challenging times in my life and always with a lick of my tears and a snuggle to let me know she was with me. She would sleep pushed up against by stomach under the covers and we were both very content and safe.

She had her favorite boyfriend Bailey the Beagle just across the courtyard and his humans were so good to Megara. They often came over and got her while I was at work so she was not alone. She would be sad sometimes to come home where it was more quiet but then we would play or go on a walk and she was happy.

Megara taught me all about patience and unconditional love. Lessons that are vital and I have found most important over her 16 years. She left those gifts with me which I do my very best to carry with me each and every day.

She taught me to slow down and look at the stars in the sky as I walked her around to do her business. I may have otherwise missed those beautiful sunrises, sunsets or breathtaking evenings. Those are years of gifts that are priceless and I hold them so dearly.

We were each other’s companions for many years until she gave me the approval of my now husband and the man that became her Dad. An animal lover he was not but that lasted only moments as Megara knew exactly what to do to change that. She curled up next to him, looked at him with those loving eyes, laid her little chin on his leg and fell asleep. She would take him for walks around the neighborhood and show him about relaxing too. He came up with many loving nicknames for her and she loved when he would spoil her with all of his affection.

She enjoyed opening her own presents through the year (especially Christmas) and then opening ours too. Megara made us laugh by always chiming in at the most appropriate moment assuring us she understood every word we were saying! She loved going to the mailbox 6 days a week where our mail carrier left bones for her and we loved seeing her so excited.

Megara got me up from my desk when the work hours flew by so that I could get that well needed break and enjoy the beauty of nature. She was quite a lady and never liked getting her paws wet in the rain but she liked the new fallen snow.

We miss our baby girl every day and have not been able to put away her belongings but we know she is watching us and will be there when it is our time. I know she was a gift from God. She gave me purpose in life when it seemed everything was falling down around me. My job was to take care of her when now I know she was really taking care of me during those times.

Megara loved each and every day and even when she was going to the vet, receiving treatments and not feeling 100%. We could not believe her lymphoma was raging (except for the growing bumps) so many times as she showed nothing but courage.

We leave this quote for all those left behind after their loved ones have departed:
"The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not 'get over' the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will heal and you will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again, but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to." - Elizabeth Kubler-Ross & John Kessler

With all of our love to you Megara ~

Mom and Dad
Kathy & Steve BugglinLebanon, New JerseyMarch 11, 2016
9/4/2003 - 2/25/2016For 12+ years our big boy lived with us. He watched over everyone - even his cats. He loved his family, especially his mommy, he was her "shadow". This was the hardest thing that we have ever had to do especially when the mind is willing but the body cannot keep up. He will forever be missed but we know that he is no longer in pain and he is running like a dear again. We love and miss you big boy and we will never forget you.Tony IamurriLogan Township, New JerseyMarch 11, 2016
Fletcher Nathaniel
3/8/2016Sweet Fletcher Nathaniel, I'm so happy you are reconnected with your long-time buddy, Tim. Please keep him thoroughly entertained with your stick chasing, mind-melding, long walks and bonding naps on the couch until I catch up with both of you again down the road. I love you and miss you both so much, and happily look forward to the day when we'll all be together again.Mary FeuryRoswell, GeorgiaMarch 11, 2016
10/15/2002 - 2/27/2016Abby was our first Westie we brought into our home - our first home - first Westie. She was spunky and loving. She had some rough times over her lifetime when she suffered from white shakers syndrome - not once but twice. She hated rain. She really hated the snow when our family moved from Florida to Ohio (only 1 year though). She was very happy to return home to Florida. She also suffered from addison's disease and went into shock when she was 4. The vets revived her then and she went on to make it to 13 and a half years old. She was momma to Dakota, Griff and Piper. She was part of "Triple Trouble" (Abby, Dakota and Griffith) for the Lionel Christmas cards in 2006 and memorialized in a painting in our home, her grandparents home and her cousins home by a great friend, Angela. She was foster mom to Murdoc and Jinni. She loved car rides and time spent camping (Wandering Wastes) at Disney - riding in the golf cart was a favorite too. She loved to sun bathe but really hated the pool (unless she was in her boat). She was loved by everyone she met. She always had a story and filled her parents in when they returned home. We will always love our Abby and she is very much missed by her human parents and her siblings (Dakota, Griff and Piper) as well as her extended family.Patricia / Douglas Baumann / DolanGulfport, FloridaMarch 10, 2016